Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ding! Ding! And in this corner.........



Alright, so when my husband was volunteering as an axillary deputy at a local police department he started going to this charity event called Guns N' Hoses. It is a bunch of boxing matches that pit police officers against fire fighters. He started talking after awhile about maybe learning how to box himself. He has always wanted to try boxing, and so now after losing weight he has hit a plateau on his weight loss adventure. He has lost about 80lbs but all he does is run (usually just 2 to 3 miles a few times a week), lift weights, and the cross trainer every once in awhile. I thought he might need a different workout...but he hates going to any of the classes at the Y with me. So I spoke to my favorite aerobic instructor, Shawnta, because she had mentioned something about where she boxes at before. So we have joined The Boxing Gym. And let me tell you what......IT IS SOO MUCH FUN!!! We have been taking boxing classes with Reggie who is a former Army boxer and it is the best workout ever. I take a wide range of classes at the Y(step aerobics, kickboxing, cycling, weight classes, and some water aerobics) and this boxing really energizes me. And talk about de-stressing.....hitting that bag and then doing some combo sparing with Reggie really helps me to unwind and take out my aggression about the day. Brian LOVES IT! He will talk about it for hours after class. Although on the first day after class he couldn't lift his arms!! Will keep you updated on how things go....and who knows, maybe after enough classes we will get to spare with other people in the ring.....scares me a little.....but would be interesting!

No comments:

Connor under the desk

Connor under the desk
"Mom's throwing a fit in the kitchen!"

Boys running

Boys running
The boys making their getaway