Thursday, January 1, 2009

Do you boys like Mexi-Co?!

I love Mexican food, I could eat nothing but Mexican food all day and be perfectly happy and fat. But since I don't want the fat part of the equation, only the happy, I find the need to find "lighter" Mexican food recipes. So with that in mind one evening when I had a wicked craving for tamales I browsed my way over to Cooking light.com and came across this:




Chicken Tamale Casserole


by Cooking Light.com



1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese, divided
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix (I used Krusteaz's fat free cornbread mix- it is the best boxed cornbread mix around)
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
Cooking spray
1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce


2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Combine 1/4 cup cheese and next 7 ingredients (through chiles) in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until set. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces( 1 piece is one serving); top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.


I love cooking light because they give you the nutritional info on the recipe, which is sooooo helpful for someone who counts calories....it truly makes my day easier.


Nutritional Information
Calories: 354 (36% from fat)
Fat: 14.1g (sat 7.1g,mono 3.3g,poly 1.2g)
Protein: 18.9g
Carbohydrate: 36.3g
Fiber: 2.5g
Cholesterol: 58mg
Iron: 1.7mg
Sodium: 620mg
Calcium: 179mg

I tallied mine up with the products that I used and it was pretty close, my calories for my dish was 332...so not too far off.
This is what it looked like after we had already eaten part of it. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product! Hubby loved it and asked that it be put into the regular rotation.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great recipe! Mexican dishes can be challenging to lighten up but this sounds great!

Connor under the desk

Connor under the desk
"Mom's throwing a fit in the kitchen!"

Boys running

Boys running
The boys making their getaway